Author Topic: Looks like Slocum will be back!  (Read 56436 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Looks like Slocum will be back!
« on: March 03, 2016, 07:19:13 PM »
I have heard that he will be back for another year.  If true I am very disappointed .
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Looks like Slocum will be back!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 07:24:58 PM »
I have not attended a mens game in 2 years. Will continue as long as he is on the bench.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 08:45:04 AM »
YSUGO, I think you are correct.   I was at the Poland vs Salem game last night, and two people who likely would know told me that Slocum will return, and that it is Tressel who saved him.

This is very disappointing, and the message from YSU is we don't care about men's basketball!  I honestly don't believe any other D-1 program in the country would allow this to continue.  Slocum has been a failure.

He is 23-0 at teams Like Thiel, Geneva, and Westminster, I don't see other D-1 programs playing this many D-3 opponents, his record is awful even with those wins.  His tournament record is 4-11, which is a .267 winning percentage,    His conference regular season record is 52-136, which is a .277 winning percentage. I could go on and on, but how can any athletic administration justify this.

I know the spin will be Bobby Hain's injury, when did Bobby Hain become Larry Bird?????  Also many of Slocum's losses this year were not competitive losses, so it would not have mattered if Hain would have played.

This team had multiple 30 plus point losses.  Even more concerning should be the lack of interest in the program.  THE UIC game had maybe 300 people. 

He also treats people like garbage, I hear only Robb Schmidt in the athletic department likes him.  I sincerely believe that Strollo may be afraid of him, I am serious.

He has no impact in the community, other than YSU mandated events, you never see him.

YSU men's basketball is D-1 in name only.  John Robic's overall record and conference record were better than Slocum, and he got fired after 6 years. 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:57:17 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 09:28:58 AM »
Since1990,

That was the best summary about the state of men's basketball posted on this board in many years. 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 09:56:01 AM »
This, if true, would be such utter lunacy that I am unable to believe it. 

However, if true, that means his fully expired contract was again renewed.  It obviously couldn't be renewed based on performance.  Take into consideration that there are other HL HC's that were fired with winning records.

There was a Vindy article years back where Strollo was quoted as saying winning championships was not the goal.  I truly take his word for that.

This would be yet another occurrence of a long list of Athletic Department malpractice, misuse of funds, and lost opportunities to use athletics as a means to elevate the University as a whole.  The local media, if objective and independent, would treat this as the multi-million dollar scandal that is is. 

f*** them.  If the University is determined to field hopeless, noncompetitive, and grossly under matched teams then fine.  I don't pay student fees anymore and don't pay Ohio state income taxes, so I am not personally funding this atrocity.  I have zero respect for anyone associated with this program, which is obviously designed to fail.  The only question that remains is, is it designed to fail because of epic incompetence and ignorance, or rather cronyism and "the good old boys network"?  Since the ignorance required to do this would be so profound, I have to conclude that it is corruption and cronysim, which is far less forgivable than ignorance.

Since the same people manage other sports, we readily see why FB has had one playoff season in 15 years.  MBB is a symptom of a much larger disease.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 10:16:33 AM »
From today's Vindy:

"It’s a game that may mark the end of Slocum’s 11-year tenure at YSU.

Slocum — who won the 700th game of his 41-year head-coaching career earlier this season — is in the final year of his contract. His record is 129-209 with the Penguins, who are 11-20 overall and 6-12 in the Horizon League this season.

YSU athletic director Ron Strollo has yet to have contract discussions with Slocum.

“We’ll look at it after the season,” Strollo said in a phone call on Thursday. “Anywhere between the end of this season and beginning of the next season.”

When asked if YSU’s showing in this weekend’s conference tournament holds any great significance in deciding Slocum’s fate, Strollo said: “I think you put the whole thing into perspective. It’s just part of the whole evaluation.” "

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/mar/04/college-basketball-ysu-slocum-get-third-/

What??  You'll look at it after the season?  An 11 year body of work is insufficient?...a few tournament games may overturn an 11 year record of incompetence?? Are you f***ing kidding me? Maybe you'll wait as long as the "beginning of the next season."??  WTF??  Has anyone checked the lead levels in Strollo's neighborhood?  How can he be anymore of a complete f***ing moron?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 10:33:42 AM »
So let me get this straight..YSU fires men's football coach Eric Wolford who was a quality coach/person and proven winner that the players respected and considers keeping Slocum..Makes perfect sense😉

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 11:29:45 AM »
So let me get this straight..YSU fires men's football coach Eric Wolford who was a quality coach/person and proven winner that the players respected and considers keeping Slocum..Makes perfect sense😉

Wolford was 6 sandwiches short of a picnic and he was a bad leader.

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
One of the reasons Peters left YSU was that Tressel the AD didnt support MBB.  The downward spiral started there.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 09:32:22 PM »
Didn't take long to get behind by double digits. Thanks for not showing up!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 10:16:22 PM »
Another one and done in the tourney for Jerry.... Sad, so sad.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 10:21:23 PM »
Slocum another double digit loss.  Now 4-12 tournament record.  But Tressel and Strollo plan to bring him back.  Pathetic.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 04:32:53 AM »
I used to attend most games and only attended 1 this year and it was against American.. As long as Jerry is the coach I'll never attend another game.  It won't get better by keeping him. 11 years of pathetic play proves it.  Ysu basketball has become a joke and embarrassment.  Good luck with Slocum behind the bench. 

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 06:26:23 AM »
Mr. Strollo and President Tressel, Please, I plead to you... let Slocum go.  It is time.  I understand that there are financial considerations at stake.  However, I truly believe that some of the financial issues would be eased by a renewed interest in the MBB program.  I used to come to a half dozen games a year but, I lost all int0erest and hope 3 or 4 years ago.  I haven't been back since.  A change in leadership might not give us substantially different results on the court but, it will give us hope for the future.  Right now, there is no hope:(  At this point, that's all we are asking for... hope!

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 07:39:47 AM »
Anger at least means people care. People get angry about football. There is very little anger anymore regarding mens basketball. Thats the worst thing that can happen.  If 300 people went to the UIC game, more people were at the mens club hockey game at the Ice Zone a couple of weeks ago. These people paid $5 to watch a game that started at 930 and stood around a cold rink.