Author Topic: YSU CROWDS  (Read 12896 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU CROWDS
« on: October 03, 2016, 08:24:36 AM »
  There were some very good and accurate points made about our crowds and attendance in the post about the game vs South Dakota.  Not only was it a small crowd, no energy and as I looked around near my seats, many of the fans were not even paying attention.  Many on their cell phones or chatting with friends.

I agree, the crowds of 20 K(and that didn't happen often under Tressel) are over.  Less people living in our community, and small student attendance at our games.  Also, all the replays make for long games, and there are so many good games on television.  Honestly, I was bored at our game on Saturday.

I know this is nothing new, but the conference we play in doesn't help, no geographic rivalry and fans could care less about who we play. 

I also think FCS football is at an all time low.  Most, if not all the great programs of the 1990's are now in FBS.  There is no way one team should win 5 years in a row, and likely 6 straight titles.

Strollo is a dud, and doesn't have it in him to do something..   Also, even if we win Saturday, the crowd for UNI will be relatively small for a 'big' game.   We probably will be going head to head with Ohio State at Wisconsin, and although many hate to admit it, that is a factor.  Instead of being stubborn, we should move our game to 3 PM if the Ohio State game is an 8 pm start.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:25:45 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU CROWDS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 08:45:07 AM »
  There were some very good and accurate points made about our crowds and attendance in the post about the game vs South Dakota.  Not only was it a small crowd, no energy and as I looked around near my seats, many of the fans were not even paying attention.  Many on their cell phones or chatting with friends.

I agree, the crowds of 20 K(and that didn't happen often under Tressel) are over.  Less people living in our community, and small student attendance at our games.  Also, all the replays make for long games, and there are so many good games on television.  Honestly, I was bored at our game on Saturday.

I know this is nothing new, but the conference we play in doesn't help, no geographic rivalry and fans could care less about who we play. 

I also think FCS football is at an all time low.  Most, if not all the great programs of the 1990's are now in FBS.  There is no way one team should win 5 years in a row, and likely 6 straight titles.

Strollo is a dud, and doesn't have it in him to do something..   Also, even if we win Saturday, the crowd for UNI will be relatively small for a 'big' game.   We probably will be going head to head with Ohio State at Wisconsin, and although many hate to admit it, that is a factor.  Instead of being stubborn, we should move our game to 3 PM if the Ohio State game is an 8 pm start.

Sadly, there are very few of the 90's gang left. Age, and different times has killed the enthusiasm of YSU football. A playoff run would bring back some interest but not to the level it once was.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 09:37:19 AM »
A novel could be written about this, but the unfortunate bottom line is filling the stands is not a priority, or even an objective, of the Athletic Department.  On the other hand, filling the loges is.  This is a short-sighted strategy befitting of a moRon.  By filling the stands, you create enthusiasm for the University as a whole, and see revenue generation in many non-athletic aspects of the University.  Some students (my daughter is one) chose student life and athletics as a significant variable when selecting a school.

At YSU, accountability is limited to the students and student athletes, so people like moRon and Slocum are there as long as they wish to be...so these type of discussions are only for amusement only.  They simply don't care.

Because of a number of issues (again volumes could be written about this), this is the population of Ytown now versus the 1990s (a 30% decline):

https://www.google.com/search?q=youngstown+ohio+population&oq=youngstown+ohio+population&aqs=chrome..69i57.6963j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Winning.  You simply can't expect one playoff season in 15 years to fill the stands.  If we stomp every Valley team this season, the stands will barely fill, and will only fill slightly more at the playoffs.  It will take time to bring fans back, just like it took years of neglect to chase them away. 

Schedule.  If you are content with things as they are, stick with the current NEC/MVFC hybrid schedule.  If you want to create excitement, then there are multiple options.  One is to play Akron and Kent.  Kent is a pathetic excuse of a program, and we'd get paid >$300k to embarrass them in their own house.  Imagine the recruiting gravitas that would create.  Another option (not without its downsides) is two money games.  It would create more interest, and the additonal revenue generation could go toward FCOA scholarships, which we need to get soon to be competitive not just against MAC schools, but also many MVFC schools.

Promotions.  The least effective tactic in this list.  I thought having rapper Jerreau at the Duquesne game was a good move.  Make a game an event.  Make it the best place to be in town.  When I go to FAU games with my daughter, it's like going to a carnival that happens to have a football game nearby.

Gimmicks and stunts.  Create interest with viral social media.  If 5,000 students use their ID for entry, Bo will bring his cat to the game.  If the game is a sell out, a local car dealer will give a way a car away at half time.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 10:11:56 AM »
Schedule is a joke. Marketing department is a joke. Be happy with your magnetic sticker as you walk in ;)

Sometimes I feel like the university is still stuck in the 90's. Shame.

The crowds will not change. It's just the way things are. 

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 11:36:20 AM »
Well guys, I have been able to make less games myself this year (due to the change in my work schedule requiring me to work a fair number of weekends since last year). I won't be able to come to the UNI game as much as I want too  :-[. Honestly, the next home game I can go to is homecoming  :'(

ytowngirl

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 11:57:43 AM »
I don't see the crowds of the 90's and 2000's ever coming back.  Most those people either passed away or moved away.  Maybe even too old now to come to games.  Most kids these days could careless about YSU football.

I can't wait to take my son to YSU games but he was born premie this summer and we are stuck inside for the fall/winter time so he doesn't get sick. 

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 01:02:48 PM »
Also, even if we win Saturday, the crowd for UNI will be relatively small for a 'big' game.   We probably will be going head to head with Ohio State at Wisconsin, and although many hate to admit it, that is a factor.  Instead of being stubborn, we should move our game to 3 PM if the Ohio State game is an 8 pm start.

That's probably not feasible now because UNI's travel schedule is already set, but it should have been done soon after May 2nd when the OSU - Wisconsin game time was announced.  The RMU game also should have been moved up when the Oklahoma game time was set.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 01:35:24 PM »
Taken from the university site, here are the attendance averages for the six years in which we played for the IAA title.

1991  11,619
1992  11,935
1993  10,717
1994  16,181
1997  14,721
1999  16,765

Obviously, the actual numbers are not very high, and it took three consecutive title appearances to reach 15k. One playoff appearance since 2000 has effectively killed interest for casual fans, as has HD big screen televisions that show over 20 games per Saturday.

My advice: stop fixating on crowds that really never were on a consistent basis and will never be again.  Just enjoy the games.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 02:13:11 PM »
Hey, there were 13,000+ according to YSU for last saturdays game lol. Tickets sold count towards that I know but man oh man... And do not expect Ron to change the schedule due to Ohio State. He's as stubborn as they come. Just like he wont play Akron or Kent because he expects them to come and play us here. We are still an FCS program pal, get it through your head. FBS teams do not go to NDSU. It's just how it is. Take the payday and go beat their a*s in their own stadium.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »
I heard Pelini wanted the RMU game moved to 1:00 because of the OSU game but Ron did not want to.. I doubt that there are that many true football fans, or wives that would let them, spend the entire day at YSU and then go watch the OSU game (there is one that I know of  ;D ) especially with today's games lasting 4 hours, that is an entire day of football.  OSU is a huge reason we get limited crowds...why come down there and now the most exciting thing offensively is the new whistle?

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 06:34:09 PM »
I was really impressed with the crowd for the home opener last year and the Illinois St. game. I think the majority of that was do in part to the hiring of Bo and the 1st real big game under Bo. Had we beat the Redbirds it's hard to say if we would've had a similar crowd for SDSU..We may never know. At least we had more then Akron and Kent did in their wheel wagon game. I did notice that SDSU's new stadium was maybe only half full for their game against WIU and those fans almost always pack that stadium. The Indiana St. and Missouri St game might have had around a thousand..There are so many families these days doing so many activities on Saturdays that take the entire day..Fall Baseball, Soccer, Fall activities, Hay rides, pumkin patches etc. plus other family members want to join.The trend is just a challenge unless your a quality FBS program outside of the MAC

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 08:19:31 PM »
Taken from the university site, here are the attendance averages for the six years in which we played for the IAA title.

1991  11,619
1992  11,935
1993  10,717
1994  16,181
1997  14,721
1999  16,765

Obviously, the actual numbers are not very high, and it took three consecutive title appearances to reach 15k. One playoff appearance since 2000 has effectively killed interest for casual fans, as has HD big screen televisions that show over 20 games per Saturday.

My advice: stop fixating on crowds that really never were on a consistent basis and will never be again.  Just enjoy the games.

A post of reason
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 08:25:22 PM »
I heard Pelini wanted the RMU game moved to 1:00 because of the OSU game but Ron did not want to.. I doubt that there are that many true football fans, or wives that would let them, spend the entire day at YSU and then go watch the OSU game (there is one that I know of  ;D ) especially with today's games lasting 4 hours, that is an entire day of football.  OSU is a huge reason we get limited crowds...why come down there and now the most exciting thing offensively is the new whistle?

GO GUINS

I for one do not give a crap about osu, if watching osu is more important than going to a YSU game then stay home and watch them.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »

GO GUINS

I for one do not give a crap about osu, if watching osu is more important than going to a YSU game then stay home and watch them.

That's what many of the casual fans do when OSU is playing a big game.  If YSU wants to increase the "butts in seats", then they need to take this into consideration.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 04:25:43 PM »
Now Chief, I would be sending hate mail if he did schedule them without a return. Do you not remember the 1994-5 slap in the face? I have no sympathy, nor am a I living in a world of illusion that we will win more than we lose, even against Kent. As you said, these are FBS programs. If I am not mistaken, we control the Steel Tire trophy (over Akron) and Kent controls the Schwebel's Challenge trophy (over YSU). I mean a trophy game only held in one location? I mean if it was a neutral location maybe, but why bother; Akron, Kent and YSU have the largest stadiums in the region. It just makes sense to keep the rotation. Possibly the Hall-of-Fame stadium? Still would favor Akron, but not so much for Kent.

In general, I am happy that we do pay attention to other teams when scheduling. I know this is hard for other teams in the conference to understand and my hat is off for the administration in this area.