Author Topic: baseball coaches  (Read 1006 times)

Offline 33Y0

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: baseball coaches
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2024, 01:10:27 PM »
So here’s the thing… if we can’t even afford to pay a competitive salary for a baseball coach and staff which is fourth fiddle here, what makes anyone believe we’d have the funds necessary for the MAC? Food for thought.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: baseball coaches
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2024, 01:22:22 PM »
YSU has been selling a bill of goods for a quarter century with the “we have no money” BS. If they really wanted to improve the sports programs, they would find it. What we’re seeing is the results of low coach pay, low recruiting budgets, etc. it has created a product that is inferior in most sports. It’s sad because there is a huge alumni base that would love and support a better product on the field.
Amen! The AD has been the Captain of the Ship for nearly a quarter century.  Before anyone comments about his accolades. The Fifth Ave complex was planned way back in the 90s.  The WATTS is the namesake of the former coach and his wife's family.  The press box and theater in Stambaugh were secured by the former President.  The families clearly stated they donated the funds  because of Tressel during the dedication ceremonies.  Not to mention he secured the intramural field from Cafaros and likely the money from Corelli for the support of the Fifth Ave complex.

Why such hatred for the hardest working man the department has ever seen? Tressel is nothing but a beggar and good coach. He was clearly unqualified to be president, but we did it anyways. Why? MONEY. For that, most schools use a chancellor. But we do not have that kind of money. Baseball has been "on the chopping block" twice. Saved by your AD. Every building that he did not fund on campus (Academic) was built because he "tightened his belt" and held off on athletic construction and upgrades..
Give the man a break.

I did not see anyone else on the phones when Bo came around.
I did not see anyone else setting aside funds for stadium lights so we can host post season games.
I did see my football team hosting every possible post-season home game, despite the enormous cost.
I did see my basketball team in 2 "nothing" tournaments to give us some exposure. Clearly that was a big cost.
Anything that was proposed in the 90's had to be postponed for the required expansion of women's sports, that AD Tressel (and the committee) ignored for so long. That was an enormous and urgently-needed expense and remains so today. Look at how many more scholarships that ladies receive under Title-IX. (non-football) over the men. and how many years did we ignore it, thinking the NCAA would back-off?
The man added one "from scratch" sport in his tenure and it is BY FAR the most successful sport (either gender) that we have. In short, when Strollo does something, he does it right, but he keeps it in the department budget.

I am not attacking Tressel, just defending Strollo; because I see the most success in athletics that YSU has ever had in recent decades. Heck, it was just a few decades ago, when we had no real AD and the committee refused to fund the construction of Stambaugh. Another former coach got the funds from local businesses and University employees. SO why do you dance around worshiping the figureheads and insulting the workers? Heck, Strollo is the only man on this campus smart-enough to use the Tresssel name.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 01:26:18 PM by IAA Fan »