Author Topic: baseball coaches  (Read 550 times)

Offline hof222

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
baseball coaches
« on: June 22, 2024, 10:05:52 AM »
w hat is going on with the ysu baseball  coaches. the school has not released any info.have the coaches been  let go and any idea who is being looked at to replace them?

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: baseball coaches.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2024, 12:09:52 PM »
Due to lack of real funding to have a Competitive program.  I love baseball but maybe it needs to be shut down.  Use the money to start a different mens sport.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: baseball coaches
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2024, 07:59:15 PM »
hof222,

The baseball coach has been let go. I have heard absolutely nothing about a possible replacement.

Go,

The Horizon League mandates that all schools participate in men's basketball and either baseball or men's soccer. A replacement for baseball would have to be soccer, which I would personally consider to be an atrocity. However, soccer has a smaller roster size. That sport requires virtually no equipment, and we have our own facility. Financially it probably makes sense to replace baseball with soccer, much as I despise that stupid sport.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2024, 10:39:57 PM »
Soccer probably would cheaper.  I was thinking lacrosse swimming or wrestling
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline InTheYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2024, 02:20:29 PM »
hof222,

The baseball coach has been let go. I have heard absolutely nothing about a possible replacement.

Go,

The Horizon League mandates that all schools participate in men's basketball and either baseball or men's soccer. A replacement for baseball would have to be soccer, which I would personally consider to be an atrocity. However, soccer has a smaller roster size. That sport requires virtually no equipment, and we have our own facility. Financially it probably makes sense to replace baseball with soccer, much as I despise that stupid sport.
Now now Wick... don't be hating on soccer!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2024, 08:38:18 AM »
I think we should point out that the lower divisions have much more scholarship opportunity in both baseball and men's soccer than a DI program. I know for Ohio State, many of the hopeful players go to Columbus State Community College because it is a JUCO program and has over twice as many scholarships to offer as OSU. Also it is direct pipeline to admission at OSU.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:53:43 AM »
There is a media report that assistant coach Trevor Charpie will be promoted to the top job.

On the surface, I find it strange that you would elevate an assistant from such a bad program. On the other hand, Charpie was here only one season, so he is hardly to blame for the bad recruiting and high turnover in the program.  Also, he was a minor league pitcher, and boy do we need to improve that vital phase of the game.

We shall see how this works out. Perhaps this was the best Strollo could do for this less than attractive job.

« Last Edit: Today at 08:54:34 AM by Wick250 »