Author Topic: Guins Report Today  (Read 14650 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Guins Report Today
« on: August 02, 2012, 06:11:49 AM »
The Youngstown State football team begins preparations for the 2012 campaign when more than 90 players report for fall workouts on Thursday. The first practice is set for Friday at Stambaugh Stadium (4 p.m.) while the season opener is Sept. 1 at Pittsburgh.

Youngstown State returns all 11 starters on an offense that averaged a school record 36.2 points and 458.6 total offensive yards per game. In 2011, the Penguins were the only FCS team in the country to rush for more than 2,500 yards and pass for more than 2,500 yards in the regular season. YSU also had 27 passing touchdowns and 26 rushing touchdowns.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Guins Report Today
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:02:44 AM »
Just thought I would get everyone prepped ..or at least the guys  fb

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 10:53:40 PM »
Devont'a Davis is back with the team. Also former Ursuline star and Syracuse player Dale Peterman has been cleared to play academically.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 06:31:17 AM »
Great Info 0505.

Some of the players that I am interested in:

Teven Williams (LB): Had a great frosh campaign.
Jamarious Boatwright (CB): Had a medical last year, because of knee, but started all 11-games in 2010.
Andre Stubbs (WR): Also coming off knee injury.
Demonte Hymes (TB): Was on scout team last year. Looked good in practice.
Chris Charles (S): JUCO.
Wargo at QB ...lots of positive talk about him.
Ashen Ward: Will be interesting to see him with an oblong ball in his hands. Welcome Ashen!!!!!
Twin Fernandez (S): I think you will see Twin at Strong and Chris at Free. All JUCO safeties. I get worried when I see this type thing.
Nick Buonavolonta (CB): Good looking Boardman prospect. Who can tell us anything about him?
John Medina: Moved up from Geneva, lots of great stats out of Poland, and played in the OhiovPA all-star game. Anyone know him?
-Edison and Nolcox at LB.
-Then we have a "pile" on new linemen on both sides. I have heard that this Myers (red-shirt last year) has been able to get penetration. I hope so ...we need it.

Does anyone know if they were able to Red-Shirt Taylor? I think he played in several games, so he will be in his second year. I have high hopes for him. He did well against Valpo last year. That is the only game I remember seeing him participate in.

Welcome Back to Penguin Football!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:22:33 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 11:11:09 AM »
Report from the Vindy.com website:  RB Jordan Thompson not on roster as YSU camp begins!!!  Any word??

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »
Report from the Vindy.com website:  RB Jordan Thompson not on roster as YSU camp begins!!!  Any word??

Jordan Thompson along with Blake Novotny, Brandon Ferguson, Ashen Ward and Zach Conlan are gone from the program. We got a couple transfers, one a DB from the University of South Florida and an OT from Bowling Green who started almost the whole season. Also a couple local kids have joined the team as well I heard. We have so much talent. Can't wait for the season to start!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:43:20 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 08:19:27 PM »
Ricardo Dixon the transfer DB from USF coming out of high school was a 3 star rated by rivals and had official offers from Ole Miss, South Carolina, Auburn, Florida state and others. He might be a front runner to start right away or at least be one if the front runners
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:20:58 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 06:07:53 PM »
Dixon sounds like a good pick-up, and definately at a position where we can use some help. And a MAC starter on O-line certainly can't hurt.

I don't follow Y-town HS football, what's the deal with Peterman?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 06:58:33 PM »
Peterman came out of Ursuline and committed to Syracuse (I think.)  He could not qualify academically and went first to a prep school and then a junior college in California.  He would have two years of eligibility left (I think.)  Don't get your hopes up as most kids in such situations do not make it in the class room.  Hope that Peterman is the exception.  Wolford did mention in his press conference that he had recruited Peterman while still coaching at Illinois.  So the kid could play.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 07:54:29 PM »
Wolf said that Peterman had 2 A's in classes during summer so well see. He's a great athlete

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 09:28:42 PM »
Wolf said that Peterman had 2 A's in classes during summer so well see. He's a great athlete

Einstein......in the MAKING.... :) ;D :P

2-3 years "out" from HS (Ursuline)...and still trying to get eligible???

We may have one season from this kid, till he falls again.

Hope I'm wrong.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 09:03:08 AM »
Thanks Wick, hopefully he pans out.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 09:42:54 AM »
It depends on why he is at summer school. To catch up, or get ahead. Being on semesters is different than the quarterly-system we used to be on. We used to not have the start of school until in the 4th or 5th week of the season. Players had summer finals the first week of camp, then they could take only 1 or 2 classes during the season.

On the positive side ...with semesters, you are still in school when the post-season begins. I mean how many players did we not have for the play-off, when they failed? Not that many, but those we did have were always impact players.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:55:28 PM »
Little talk if any talk...about YSU football on this site......

This is a great site.

Someone needs to ask.....why so little interest in YSU football? Why is Y-town not excited???

What with all we have back on offense!!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:55:22 AM by Pizza »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 08:04:26 AM »
I used to go to practices and report observations, however, I moved out of the area and I am flying blind.

I read a lot of posts but I do not have any first hand information or observations to repaort.  I will have plenty to talk about when the season starts............plant to attend Pitt and the last game of the year and watcht he rest through YSU TV and other internet broacasts.