• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
MVFC
« on: October 27, 2013, 10:23:41 AM »
Well:

SDSU beat UNI in double OT, giving UNI 4 conference losses. I say they are out of the play-off hunt.

S. Dakota was easily handled by ILS. That puts them both in at 4-4, 3-2 (MVFC).

We are now a two-team conference, depending on who we may lose to in the last 4-games. Undefeated, we are a #1 seed. Lose all 4 & we are out. Anything else and I think we play week-1. We should get a spot going 3-1, but that is far too risky.

ValleyTalk

Re: MVFC
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »
Well:

SDSU beat UNI in double OT, giving UNI 4 conference losses. I say they are out of the play-off hunt.

S. Dakota was easily handled by ILS. That puts them both in at 4-4, 3-2 (MVFC).

We are now a two-team conference, depending on who we may lose to in the last 4-games. Undefeated, we are a #1 seed. Lose all 4 & we are out. Anything else and I think we play week-1. We should get a spot going 3-1, but that is far too risky.
3-1 and even 2-2 is a lock for the playoffs now. No way the MVFC gets only 1 team in. If we go 10-2 or 9-3, the playoff committee would have no choice but to have us in the playoffs Dan. No team would be able to finish ahead of us in the MVFC.

Some still think UNI, if they win out, deserves to make it. I disagree. We went 7-4 last year, 4-4 in conference, with a FBS win. How would their resume differ from our's? It wouldn't. I don't care how close they were in these 4 losses. They still LOST.

The only way for sure UNI is out is if they lose one more. Oh how great it would feel for US to knock pUNI out!

Spiderlegs

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »
In addition to defeating Iowa State, UNI slaughtered McNeese St., 41-6. McNeese St. is viewed as a top 10 team and at the end of the season UNI will be able to sell this as a major non-conference win. I'm actually not convinced UNI gets past Illinois State next week. However, if they win their last four, their resume will also include a win over YSU.  I'm inclined to think that a resume with three quality wins could get a team with four losses into the playoffs.

Right now I think the YSU-UNI game is a shoot out like last year and UNI could win despite its miserable season. UNI will be able to go after YSU's achilles heel--pass defense. QB Sawyer Kollmorgen is one of the two best QBs in the conference. Even if our constantly improving secondary provides excellent coverage, their receivers will only need a step or two lead over their defenders because YSU's failure to create a decent pass rush creates a situation in which Kollmorgan can plant his feet and be aggressive in his throws. Oddly, we probably only need to use our LBs a bit differently and everything works out, but I'm thinking that Tresey would have done that by now if he had intended to.

Right now I see YSU in the playoffs because the final run will include wins over South Dakota and South Dakota St., but we all know how recent YSU teams have failed to live up to expectations when they hit key moments in their seasons. I've got to say, though, this year's team seems different, even with low moments like Dayton and W. Illinois.

Offline OBC

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 12:19:10 PM »
Looking forward to our team (South Dakota) hosting your team this weekend.
If any of you are making the long trip out to Vermillion, please let us know - there will be several tailgates you can come and get some refreshments and food.  Our fan board is goyotes.net - hope some of you come over and tell us about your team.

The only game I watched your team play this year was against ISU.  You sure looked good that night.
We are a very inconsistent team this year.  Not sure if you will get the team that beat UNI with a great effort or the egg laying team that lost to W Ill.  IMO we played an avg game against ISU yesterday and got handled.
Usually our guys play well at home - should be fun.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »
I think as long as we win the next 2. We're in.... But realistically I say we go 3-1.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 02:11:18 PM »
I agree with you Valley, but we were talking 4-teams from the MVFC just a week ago. If things keep going as they have been, the only way I see more than two MVFC teams in the play-off would be if YSU looses all 4 or beats NDSU.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 11:45:55 PM »
The win vs Southern Illinois will loom big for us at the end of the season.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:21:05 AM »
i dont see how we aren't in at 8-4, but im hoping we can go 3-1 to finish november at least

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »
i dont see how we aren't in at 8-4

I agree with this.  I think we'll end up 9-3 (hoping for 10-2), but at 8-4 I don't see why we wouldn't be in at that record anyway.  Considering the league we're in. 

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 12:58:33 PM »
At the beginning of the season, I would have been thrilled if we could beat either SDSU or UNI.  Now that they are both playing poorly, and dealing with injuries, I expect us to win both of those games.