Author Topic: A Message to YSU Fans From Eric Wolford  (Read 32708 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: A Message to YSU Fans From Eric Wolford
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »
I've been a regular for over 25 years with seats in the Penguin Club seats.  I have yet to see the players on the playing field looking for fans to be standing up when they are ready to run a play. And standing isn't necessary to cheer or be loud. But if you look at the fan base, its old. And I have now joined them. Had  surgery last December for hip replacement and missed much of BB season. Still have a arthritis problem with my lower back and other hip. Very painful to get up and down in the seats. I know others with other ailments who also don't  need to be getting up and down all game. And now I appreciate why many dislike some a-hole standing up blocking their view  of a game they are into. It isn't necessary to stand to cheer. That can be done sitting down. It is, unfortunately, another  sign of Youngstown and the a-holes that are developed here. The reputation precedes this place because of the unruly, people lacking manners and in general, being a total a-hole with no consideration for those around them. Youngstown wears it well. People come ( casual or hard core) to see the game and cheer on YSU. Why is it necessary to offend most of the fans and block their view while standing up to cheer when you can remain sitting & cheer ? That make you feel like some bad azz ? Or Is it a sign of the ignorance that permeates the area and makes it viewed as a low life area to the outside world ?  Some day, some of the a-holes will be where many in the stands are -- out for a game you want to support and see with some a-hole standing up in front of you while you struggle thru the pain of arthritis or other medical problem to see.The athletic dept depends more on the gray panthers who show up in large numbers to support and watch the team  than a small group of a-holes giving no consideration of others to look like bad boys. Security  is there to ensure that people can watch the game  and not let some jerks ruin it for all.

You weren't standing during the JMU game in 2006?  I don't think anyone around me sat down almost the entire game.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 08:59:22 PM »
So why do some fans sit and others stand?  Some thought provoking articles linked below.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB124147578109184945
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/3/1667401/fan-guide-standing-games-etiquette-football-rules

I agree that someone standing an entire game (outside of the student section) could be quite annoying to many of the fans, not just limited to the silver sneaker club.   And maybe thats where our agreement ends... 

I dont stand the entire game, even though at times I would like to stand more than I do. However, as fans (fanatics) I don't see a problem with standing during meaningful plays or critical junctures in the game including but not limited to 3rd down and 4th down (especially when the entire team and coaching staff is asking you to stand) and final plays of the half and game. 

I know that our fan base includes a dynamic set of ages.  Is there some place to compromise here?  A "silver-platinum Penguin" package where there is no standing or blocked view?  No doubt different than most if not all stadiums but it would be appreciated by those who use it...including me at some point down the road.  How about a "rowdy-roddy penguin" package that includes those who love to stand the entire game? 

Z

That's about where I'm at with standing, but then someone tells me to sit down on 3rd down, 4th down or big plays.

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »
We chant the "stand until we score...stand until we score"   problem solved

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 12:35:24 PM »
We chant the "stand until we score...stand until we score"   problem solved

Yeah shouldn't take long.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 06:35:14 PM »
I like that Wolf has shouted out to the community.  However, I am somewhat surprised that this is the first of its kind in his tenure, as it seems the most obvious was to encourage new fan support.  I like some of the other ideas that are being discussed as well.  Anything to encourage and promote the larger attendance.

However, as die-hards on this board we need to understand that there will be opportunites that get in the casual fans that are not as rowdy and will not stand up and cheer on third down.  Until there is a waiting list for tickets (lol), we can not demonize this group and must also encourage their attendance and commitment to the team and university.  I've said before, I know some of those who come and knit or play on their ipad.  The ones I know are very supportive of the team and I am happy to sit near them.  My frustration comes mainly from the prior two years of fans behind me encouraging me to sit down (and they aren't "knitters").  I have not had that problem this year.  Likely, they have not attended this year.

Continue to promote to those you know outside your group to come and tailgate.  Promise them your extra tickets if you have them.  Those with social media expertise keep up the continued push. 

Z

I like this idea.  Establish a "senior zone" with easy access to the concourse that are sold at a discounted rate to only seniors.  Promote it, and hopefully continually expand it.  Maybe offer prizes from corporate sponsors (eg, dinners from O'Charlies) that are limited to that section.  Have an usher enforce behavior for that section only. If a senior choses to sit outside of the "senior zone", than they'll have to expect language and behavior of a younger mindset, including standing and use of flags, signs or banners.  Many stadiums offer family sections for similar reasons.

fb  Just win Penguins......Just win   fb
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »
Great idea Nation. If we could only get marketing involved. Oh and by the way Happy, bite me.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »
I don't think people realize the magnitude of these next two home games for the YSU program going forward, not only for this season; but seasons going forward.  Two wins would do wonders for YSU, and get the program back as one of the signature programs of FBS.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2013, 08:41:57 PM »
I don't think people realize the magnitude of these next two home games for the YSU program going forward, not only for this season; but seasons going forward.  Two wins would do wonders for YSU, and get the program back as one of the signature programs of FBS.

Yep, people need to realize what's happening!

Offline letsgoguins

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
We have continuously been promoting this on our Twitter feed. If the powers to be aren't going to promote this on social media, then we as fans must!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 10:50:42 PM »
FWIW, Eric Wilhelm at WFMJ and Accuweather now show highs of 58 degrees under mostly sunny skies on Saturday.

I am expecting a huge walk up for this game. OSU blowing out Illinois by the end of the first quarter would be much appreciated for those extreme fair weather fans!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »
If the second-hand information that I am hearing is true, and I certainly hope that it is not, we will be ashamed, embarrassed, and outraged by the size of the "crowd" on Saturday. 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 11:42:53 PM »
Things happen for a reason but pretty despressing to think what couldve been had YSU beat UNI............ Chris Fowler to Herbstreit Tweeted in not so many words they were Youngstown bound.............. The storyline was written...  Stambaugh wouldve been ELECTRIC!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 11:44:54 PM »
Things happen for a reason but pretty despressing to think what couldve been had YSU beat UNI............ Chris Fowler to Herbstreit Tweeted in not so many words they were Youngstown bound.............. The storyline was written...  Stambaugh wouldve been ELECTRIC!

It still should be!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2013, 06:35:14 AM »
FWIW, Eric Wilhelm at WFMJ and Accuweather now show highs of 58 degrees under mostly sunny skies on Saturday.

I am expecting a huge walk up for this game. OSU blowing out Illinois by the end of the first quarter would be much appreciated for those extreme fair weather fans!

I would further suggest that Time Warner and/or Armstrong needs to step up and offer at least one tailgate zone. These are great. Fans see a great number of games all day...more than they can get at home. Then the local broadcasts take over and they are displayed. I would take it one step further and try to get the conference involved and show updates for the other covered MVFC games. use the M7 or M5 lots. Then OSU fans have a place to play.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 07:19:04 AM »
If the second-hand information that I am hearing is true, and I certainly hope that it is not, we will be ashamed, embarrassed, and outraged by the size of the "crowd" on Saturday.
Absolutely perfect weather and the best opponent in the FCS, yet our marketing wing hasn't said a peep about it on Facebook or Twitter. Notice nobody has posted an actual amount of tix distributed.

Why, because it would be embarrassing to those in charge of getting tickets sold / distributed to the community.

Let's hope they just give em away in these final 48 hours to local businesses.