Author Topic: So what happens now...  (Read 40375 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: So what happens now...
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 08:04:44 AM »
I'm certainly not giving up on this team. Seems like a lot of you Guys are jumping ship after a loss to the #1 team in the nation where our third string QB played nearly the entire second half.

Get Hess healthy and he will lead us to the promised land. He will not go out the way our seniors did two years ago. I think if we win we get a first round, first weekend home game. If we lose, SDSU definitely gets the #2 spot in our conference and we are on the bubble.

We know what it at stake. Next weeks game is what separates the men from the boys. Don't give up on this team for losing to the best damn team in the FCS. Did KSTATE give up in their season, how about SDSU? NO.

We simply lost to a much better team this year that should roll into a title. Our guys never quit in that second half. When I saw Hess go out, I thought we would lose by 28, but we kept it rather close the entire second half and played to the final whistle. Kudos to our kids for never quitting and to the fans for making great noise on third down.

I will be there next week.... Will you? Go YSU!

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 09:32:27 AM »
T
I'm certainly not giving up on this team. Seems like a lot of you Guys are jumping ship after a loss to the #1 team in the nation where our third string QB played nearly the entire second half.

Get Hess healthy and he will lead us to the promised land. He will not go out the way our seniors did two years ago. I think if we win we get a first round, first weekend home game. If we lose, SDSU definitely gets the #2 spot in our conference and we are on the bubble.

We know what it at stake. Next weeks game is what separates the men from the boys. Don't give up on this team for losing to the best damn team in the FCS. Did KSTATE give up in their season, how about SDSU? NO.

We simply lost to a much better team this year that should roll into a title. Our guys never quit in that second half. When I saw Hess go out, I thought we would lose by 28, but we kept it rather close the entire second half and played to the final whistle. Kudos to our kids for never quitting and to the fans for making great noise on third down.

I will be there next week.... Will you? Go YSU!
Totally agree except I thought we would lose by more than 28 without Hess.NDSU is undoubtedly the best team in FCS- but despite what most posters think and say they are NOT invincible or light years ahead.Our boys played with a lot of heart and didn't give up when faced with extreme adversity.YSU is still a very young team and was only trailing the #1 team by 4 without Hess @ the half.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 09:42:26 AM »
We need to turn all attention to next week.  SDSU is playing great and coming in here with a chance at the playoffs.  Both teams need a win to get to the playoffs with the loser most likely staying home.  YSU will need a memorable perormance to pull this one out.  We have not beaten SDSU in many years and they have the best running back in the conf.    I don't think YSU will make the playoffs at 8-4 and finishing with a 3 game losing streak.  Remember we never get a break from the NCAA selection committee so why this year.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 11:38:34 AM »
I think our team played extremely hard and with a lot of guts in that second half in dire circumstances.  the fumble took the life out of the team and the crowd,...can't have those mistakes anymore...NDSU is just a better football team right now with an offensive and defensive line that controlled the line of scrimmage - plain and simple...reminds me of another team I used to know in the 90's...so going with the Wolford rule of 24 hours of celebrating or mourning...its time to focus on SDST and stopping the run.  They have the best running back in the conference who ran all over us last year...so we need the coaches to have the best scheme...and that is being able to lock up man on the corners and load the box...if we cannot do that then we are in trouble...make them beat us with the pass...shut down the run...send the house on passes...and if we go down...go down playing as aggressive as we can and make aggressive mistakes and not sit back...get Hess healthy...play to win and not just to win but like we did against ISU...deep balls...spread them out...BEAT THEM UP!!!  MEAT AND POTATOES!!!  GET OLD SCHOOL!!!  We have 6 days to get ready...I know the crowd will be typical...so I am not getting my hopes up for it to be rowdy and loud but the same geriatric, hand sitting, "whoa is me," Youngstown owes me, BS of a crowd will be in attendance..

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

ValleyTalk

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »
I think our team played extremely hard and with a lot of guts in that second half in dire circumstances.  the fumble took the life out of the team and the crowd,...can't have those mistakes anymore...NDSU is just a better football team right now with an offensive and defensive line that controlled the line of scrimmage - plain and simple...reminds me of another team I used to know in the 90's...so going with the Wolford rule of 24 hours of celebrating or mourning...its time to focus on SDST and stopping the run.  They have the best running back in the conference who ran all over us last year...so we need the coaches to have the best scheme...and that is being able to lock up man on the corners and load the box...if we cannot do that then we are in trouble...make them beat us with the pass...shut down the run...send the house on passes...and if we go down...go down playing as aggressive as we can and make aggressive mistakes and not sit back...get Hess healthy...play to win and not just to win but like we did against ISU...deep balls...spread them out...BEAT THEM UP!!!  MEAT AND POTATOES!!!  GET OLD SCHOOL!!!  We have 6 days to get ready...I know the crowd will be typical...so I am not getting my hopes up for it to be rowdy and loud but the same geriatric, hand sitting, "whoa is me," Youngstown owes me, BS of a crowd will be in attendance..

GO GUINS
I still feel, despite NDSU running all over us yesterday, that we are far better off at stopping the run than we are against the pass. We have not played nearly as well on the DL since the 1st half of the season, but knowing SDSU primarily likes to run the ball, may allow our DC to dial up some more blitzes and play a bit more man coverage.

I view it like this... We can't stop teams with our base zone defense. Why not take a few chances with some man coverage and some blitzes?

A healthy Hess and solid play by your DL/LB will get us a win this week. This will be a very close one!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 01:00:40 PM »
I did not look this up, but last year we expected SDSU to run right at us.  Instead, did they not throw multiple touchdown passes against us in the first half?  We made their qb look like Johnny Unitas.  The good thing this year is that SDSU has unimpressive defensive stats (although everybody looks good compared to us.)  We might be able to outscore them even without Hess.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »

GO GUINS
I still feel, despite NDSU running all over us yesterday, that we are far better off at stopping the run than we are against the pass. We have not played nearly as well on the DL since the 1st half of the season, but knowing SDSU primarily likes to run the ball, may allow our DC to dial up some more blitzes and play a bit more man coverage.

I view it like this... We can't stop teams with our base zone defense. Why not take a few chances with some man coverage and some blitzes?

A healthy Hess and solid play by your DL/LB will get us a win this week. This will be a very close one!

I agree that we should play more man coverage. To me we have nothing to lose because we are giving up big plays anyway. Go to man cover zero or cover 1. Make them beat our athletes.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 02:34:58 PM »
If YSU wins this week, this discussion is moot. However, contrary to Scalzo's comments today, a playoff berth is not a sure thing if YSU loses to SDSU. Scalzo assumes that everything plays out like last year, but this is a new season with different dynamics. The availability of at-large bids is affected by the possibility that the Big Sky and Colonial each could have five teams with four-losses or fewer, and if Big South and Southern end up with three-way co-champs, you can bet that their conferences will be arguing that at-large spots should be given to the co-champs not getting an automatic bid. More correctly, a lose to SDSU next week puts YSU on the bubble, and YSU's dream of the playoffs could come down to a back-room discussion that compares YSU to the likes of Southern Utah. This scenario is hardly the championship football we keep hearing about.

Wolford should immediately get a two or three year extension if the team reaches the playoffs this year to allow him time to develop his talent.  I used to think he should get a short extension anyways because of recruiting, but I'm starting to change my mind on that given the appearance of yet another classic meltdown.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 01:10:37 PM »
Wolford should immediately get a two or three year extension if the team reaches the playoffs this year to allow him time to develop his talent.  I used to think he should get a short extension anyways because of recruiting, but I'm starting to change my mind on that given the appearance of yet another classic meltdown.

I believe you have to wait until we see how this team responds next year without Hess.  Is Wolf able to develop a QB that gives us a chance to win? 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 01:20:23 PM »

GO GUINS

I like your play ideas. I am concerned with this after UNI though ..we simply became so focused on penetrating the o-line that we were unaware of play's development. So we started those darn corner-blitzes again. They always work in this conference, but the first time a good QB catches us ...it will be a screen-pass for 6.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 11:36:42 PM »
If you think you can figure out the playoffs and it's fairness, tonight Butler (yes that's right Butler) who is on our schedule next year by the way, has been "awarded" the Pioneer League berth in the playoffs over Marist. The two tied for the conference crown but did not play each other this year. Butler would finish last in our league. And if Lafayette beats Lehigh this Saturday, they would win the Patriot League championship and go to the playoffs. And their record would be 5-6, which would make them the 1st team ever to make the playoffs with a sub .500 record. I still say that if we lose....we're out. Hope I'm wrong.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 11:46:17 PM »
If you think you can figure out the playoffs and it's fairness, tonight Butler (yes that's right Butler) who is on our schedule next year by the way, has been "awarded" the Pioneer League berth in the playoffs over Marist. The two tied for the conference crown but did not play each other this year. Butler would finish last in our league. And if Lafayette beats Lehigh this Saturday, they would win the Patriot League championship and go to the playoffs. And their record would be 5-6, which would make them the 1st team ever to make the playoffs with a sub .500 record. I still say that if we lose....we're out. Hope I'm wrong.
If we win, I see two teams we could blowout in round 1 above!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 07:36:10 AM »
If we win, I see two teams we could blowout in round 1 above!

I like the way you think!

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »
IF....we get beat Saturday, we will NOT make the playoffs, because two teams will be selected from our conference.  IF SDSU beats us their record will be the same as YSU?  They beat us...they are in.  Only, should three teams from our conference be selected would we have a chance.       Leave no doubt!!!!!

GO PENGUINS

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
IF....we get beat Saturday, we will NOT make the playoffs, because two teams will be selected from our conference.  IF SDSU beats us their record will be the same as YSU?  They beat us...they are in.  Only, should three teams from our conference be selected would we have a chance.       Leave no doubt!!!!!

GO PENGUINS

Totally disagree. We are the best and toughest conference in the FCS. Even if we lose, I see us getting in. No way the committee only takes 2 teams.... BUT, this is all irrelevant because we are going to win Saturday :)