Author Topic: YSU vs. UIC  (Read 19799 times)

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs. UIC
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 03:05:26 PM »
Rayboy and 5:05 at the VIP. you guys kill me.  You can not be loyal fans of YSU.  You attack any and all people that are guiding our sports programs.  I may be old and maybe I have seen way to many sporting events over the years including track meets, golf meets, tennis matches, volleyball, and before we eliminated them swimming and wrestling.  I am so proud of this University and of the Athletic Department in what they have done to elevate us.  People like Rayboy and 5:05 at the VIP are not fans but rather un-loyal or disgruntled fans of YSU.  IAA keep your eyes on these two and if you have to drop the hammer or many of us like IP will disappear from posting.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 05:37:11 PM »
I totally agree with Elpenguin.  Tho I do not expect pledging 100% allegiance to any sports! I do advocate support.  I am sorry that IP no longer posts.  I am sorry that some are disrespectful to Ron Strollo, and Coach Slocum.  In my opinion they are fine men, working with and for the benefit of the University.  You win some you lose some.  Those who are critical of Ron Strollos hiring ability, I just wonder (Coach Paladin,( ha ha) do you give credit to Strollo for the hiring of Coach Barnes?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 09:02:23 PM »
Look guys, I 100% support all YSU sports, no matter who the coach is. I just think the basketball program is being held back by Slocum. If they could get a young fiery coach in here like Barnes, I believe it would do wonders for the men's side.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 10:21:35 AM »
I do not really make it a habit to ban anyone for expressing their opinions. Mainly it would be language and personal attacks and even then I offer a few warnings. Again I think we could solve everything by creating a thread and sticking with it. For example, the old "fire Heacock" thread. This way, we are not using every thread to call for a coach to leave or players to hit the bench. The OT was exciting to talk about and Perry came to life against UIC, yet we never got to that. This is not to say that we cannot arm-chair coach, let's not call for coaches head and talk about how bad the team is ...when (in the case of basketball) we know what they are capable of.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 07:10:47 PM »
I am not amored with Slocum. That being said that guy gets alot bang for the buck.  We are on the bottom in the HL for monies allocated to the Mens team.  Pre Slocum we were a laughing stock of the league...no need to mention that coach.  The only decent mebs coach the last 20 yrs was Peters.  Slocum is not the best game coach,  but that being said he has brought us to being respectable where nobody can just pencil a W when they play us.  With him Slowly building a program to a middle of the pack program it will be more attractive to hire a young gun now than 10 years ago.  Be careful for what you wish for.  AS for Strollo, look at the improvements to the facilities.   We are slowly becoming a place that kids really have to consider in the non-football sports...
A Penguin for life!!!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 08:52:17 PM »
I think YSU has plateued with Slocum. Having said that, here are some thing to consider when wishing for an HC that can turn YSU into a consistent top 3-4 program in the HL:

1) YSU does not have the money to fire Slocum
2) Slocum is unlikely to retire
3) YSU is unlikely to attract a top assistant from a D1 program, given what YSU pays the HC and what is allotted for assistant coach salaries. So, that means likely having a 2nd or 3rd assistant from a top tier program as the best candidates of current D1 assistant coaches. YSU would also likely be their first time as an HC at D1. That did not work out well with Jim Cleamons or John Robic.
4) YSU would draw alot of interest from coaches who have proven successful as HC's at the D2, D3 and NAIA levels. But, YSU has tried that route with Dan Peters and now Slocum. This has led to limited success. Better than with Robic and Cleamons, but not what alot of fans are clamoring for.

So, that leaves what I will call the "Mike Rice option". Hope to attract a person with proven success as a D1 head coach, but who comes with alot of baggage, including from their most recent HC job. You are likely looking at a person who would just be happy to be coaching at the D1 level, but they are also likely to be "outside the box" and not above doing ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to win. And, I do mean ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.

The first problem here is it would require firing Slocum, which will cost YSU $$$$. Second problem is YSU would have to be in contact with the chosen candidate, and be assured he will take the job. Otherwise, YSU would fire Slocum, and then end up with no HC to step right in. The third problem is at some point, a coach hired using this model would likely implode, and that could send the program back to the dark ages.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »
For those in favor of trying what I dubbed "the Mike Rice option", here are some possible candidates. Not saying they would take the job at YSU, just some people that might be in a pool of candidates for this option:

*Pat Knight - recently fired from Lamar in his 3rd season. At the time of his firing, Lamar was 3-22, including 2-11 in the Southland Conference. Last year, Lamar finished 3-28/1-17. In his first season at Lamar, the team made the NCAA Tournament, and had a record of 23-12/11-5

Knight also coached 3.5 seasons at Texas Tech, with an overall record of 50-61/16-42. In his 2 full seasons as HC, Tech had 2 losing seasons, and made the NIT Quarterfinals in 2010-11, finishing with a record of 19-16. Brings name recognition, limited success as HC at D1 level, and plenty of baggage.

*Mike Rice Jr(Why not??? ;) - Doubt he would even be interested, but he is definitely a "chip of the ole block". So, seems only right to include him among the "Mike Rice options". I have NO DOUBT he would win at YSU, and get the program to the NIT or NCAA Tournaments. But, he is a ticking time bomb, and like his father will do ANYTHING he feels it takes to win.

*Billie Gillespie (Overall record as HC 148-108 in 8 years)- Most recently fired at Texas Tech after violating rules on practice time and alleged misconduct. Has been HC at UTEP(2 seasons), where he led UTEP to NCAA Tournament in his 2nd season, and record of 24-8... Was 70-26 in three seasons at Texas A&M, with 2 trips to NCAA Tourney and 1 trip to NIT
Next went to Kentucky, but was ultimately fired after 2 seasons. He sued the school for his firing. Led UK to 1 trip to NIT and 1 trip to NCAA Tournament. His next stop after UK was at Texas Tech.

Other posters, feel free to add to this list. I may add to the list as well. And, please know that this is being done somewhat sarcastically. But, if any of these guys want to be a HC, they would likely have to go back to a low to mid-major.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:31:25 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 02:24:37 PM »
I think YSU has plateued with Slocum. Having said that, here are some thing to consider when wishing for an HC that can turn YSU into a consistent top 3-4 program in the HL:

1) YSU does not have the money to fire Slocum
2) Slocum is unlikely to retire
3) YSU is unlikely to attract a top assistant from a D1 program, given what YSU pays the HC and what is allotted for assistant coach salaries. So, that means likely having a 2nd or 3rd assistant from a top tier program as the best candidates of current D1 assistant coaches. YSU would also likely be their first time as an HC at D1. That did not work out well with Jim Cleamons or John Robic.
4) YSU would draw alot of interest from coaches who have proven successful as HC's at the D2, D3 and NAIA levels. But, YSU has tried that route with Dan Peters and now Slocum. This has led to limited success. Better than with Robic and Cleamons, but not what alot of fans are clamoring for.

So, that leaves what I will call the "Mike Rice option". Hope to attract a person with proven success as a D1 head coach, but who comes with alot of baggage, including from their most recent HC job. You are likely looking at a person who would just be happy to be coaching at the D1 level, but they are also likely to be "outside the box" and not above doing ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to win. And, I do mean ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.

The first problem here is it would require firing Slocum, which will cost YSU $$$$. Second problem is YSU would have to be in contact with the chosen candidate, and be assured he will take the job. Otherwise, YSU would fire Slocum, and then end up with no HC to step right in. The third problem is at some point, a coach hired using this model would likely implode, and that could send the program back to the dark ages.

I call that the Cleveland State Option ...LOL

Lets_Talk

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 06:19:36 PM »
1AA, I like that.  ;D

And, while that option has worked well for CSU with Waters, it did not work out at all with Massimino. Which goes to show just how hard it is to go about building a program and finding a coach who is the right fit for the situation.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »
How about Bobby Knight?  He is from Orrville, OH which is only about an hour and a half away.   ;)