Author Topic: SDSU In Game!  (Read 41092 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SDSU In Game!
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2014, 07:39:51 AM »
DoubleE,

If you monitor the performance of other FCS conferences this season, you would conclude that the committee will actually be taking quite a few four loss teams this season.  They will have no choice to fill out the 24 team field.  Don't be shocked to see one or two 7-5 teams in the field with the right schedules (ex. a 7-5 UNI with their two FBS losses.)

Our problem is that Illinois State and Indiana State are better than Southern Illinois and Missouri State.  We must beat one of them, preferably Indiana State at home.  Even if we beat Illinois State, we probably won't finish ahead of them in the standings as they don't play North Dakota State.

We saw a 7 win school and 8-4 schools from weaker conferences taken ahead of YSU last year as well.  Our non conference strength of schedule is on par with last years. I see no reason why 8-4 wasnt good enough last year but will be this year but I may be wrong

The MVFC out of conference performance is 23-1 this year. That should speak for itself.  But we have already beaten teams that have gotten big out of conference wins. Clearly head and shoulders over everyone else.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:41:32 AM by penguinpower »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2014, 08:22:15 AM »
Thoughts?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:23:41 AM by ValleyTalk »

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2014, 08:41:38 AM »
DoubleE,

If you monitor the performance of other FCS conferences this season, you would conclude that the committee will actually be taking quite a few four loss teams this season.  They will have no choice to fill out the 24 team field.  Don't be shocked to see one or two 7-5 teams in the field with the right schedules (ex. a 7-5 UNI with their two FBS losses.)

Our problem is that Illinois State and Indiana State are better than Southern Illinois and Missouri State.  We must beat one of them, preferably Indiana State at home.  Even if we beat Illinois State, we probably won't finish ahead of them in the standings as they don't play North Dakota State.

We saw a 7 win school and 8-4 schools from weaker conferences taken ahead of YSU last year as well.  Our non conference strength of schedule is on par with last years. I see no reason why 8-4 wasnt good enough last year but will be this year but I may be wrong

The MVFC out of conference performance is 23-1 this year. That should speak for itself.  But we have already beaten teams that have gotten big out of conference wins. Clearly head and shoulders over everyone else.

I would like to agree with your thought process but the MVFC was far and away the best conference last year as well and we were snubbed. I have no faith in the selection committee after last year in doing the right thing

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2014, 10:16:57 AM »
If ANY 8 D1-win MVFC school doesn't get in, than it is scandalous.  Even if YSU gets in, and others get screwed, than I'd bolt the MVFC.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »
Let's just go 3-1 and not have to worry about it and put it into the idiots, I mean committees hands!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2014, 07:08:04 PM »
3 total penalties for 18 yards in the game. 1 for  5 yards for us. Seems they let the boys play
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2014, 07:18:03 PM »
Great team effort. Tough guys are making their  impact. fb

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »
Valley--

Let it go. 

FWIW, I used to be on LetsgoGuins.com, and there was a post about him an another site ripping MAC teams on behalf of YSU.   It actually was a hilarious thread.  I don't question his loyalty at all to YSU athletics.  I too criticize the Athletic Department at times.....alright.....lots of times.

I heard once that the worst thing you could do to a person is ignore them....not obsess about them.

Don't waste your time on the small stuff like someone's loyalty to a University.  It just doesn't matter.

Peace.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Spiderlegs

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2014, 08:29:43 PM »
Here's my problem with the assumption that an 8-4 MVFC team is automatically in. It's the idea of being hot at the end of the season.  Let's take Sam Houston State as an example. SHSU is 4-4. Realistically, it could win all four of its remaining games, which would include victories over such powerhouses as Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist. If it won the last four, it would actually end the season with a five-game winning streak thanks to its memorable 38-31 triumph over the almighty Abilene Christian yesterday. Then let's say YSU goes 2-2 over the next four weeks, losing to NDSU and Illinois State. We have two 8-4 teams: If the selection committee uses its past logic, SHSU would be the hotter of the two teams and get the bid if there was only one spot remaining. The committee might say that SHSU had a bad start, but is now peaking at the right moment, and YSU wouldn't have lost two of its last four if it were ready for the playoffs.

I'm not saying its right. Its how people think. You can't just look at how the MVFC is doing but you also have to look at what's going on in other conferences and how that is perceived. 8-4 in the MVFC puts a team on the FCS bubble with no guarantees.  The only real solution here is for the whole conference to get out of the FCS, and the attendance numbers aren't high enough to make movement to the FBS a possibility.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:58:16 PM by Spiderlegs »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »

8-4 in the MVFC puts a team on the FCS bubble with no guarantees. 

The only real solution here is for the whole conference to get out of the FBC, and the attendance numbers aren't high enough to make movement to the FBS a possibility.

The MVFC is so far superior to all other FCS conferences that it makes sense to move the conference up to FBS.  Massey already ranks the MVFC higher than some FBS conferences.  There are always logistical challenges, like stadium size of some member schools, but those don't seem insurmountable.  SDSU is renovating their stadium....as did YSU years ago. 

ValleyTalk

« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2014, 09:20:19 PM »
Valley--

Let it go. 

FWIW, I used to be on LetsgoGuins.com, and there was a post about him an another site ripping MAC teams on behalf of YSU.   It actually was a hilarious thread.  I don't question his loyalty at all to YSU athletics.  I too criticize the Athletic Department at times.....alright.....lots of times.

I heard once that the worst thing you could do to a person is ignore them....not obsess about them.

Don't waste your time on the small stuff like someone's loyalty to a University.  It just doesn't matter.

Peace.
I respect your opinion, but I take offense to his shots at our AD, staff, and student athletes. If I was out of line, I apologize.

Go YSU!

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2014, 12:06:43 AM »
I agree with valley. How can we lose posters like Italian Penguin but tolerate such stupid comments from paladin. Paladin posted on here within minutes after we lost to western illinois. But is nowhere to be found after sdsu. I think he needs to be called out. You can't make stupid comments and expect to get away .
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2014, 02:03:40 AM »
I try not to even acknowledge some posts. Gotta just let it go.. But some things though are tough to let just go by. Tough to bite thy tongue (or I guess restrain your fingers in this case).
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2014, 09:52:02 AM »
JJ--

Hate is not a good look.  It diminishes you.  It makes a person look envious, petty, and unintelligent.

Your on-line persona is consumed by this guy.  He owns you.  I mean look at your signature space.

I truly hope that IRL you are happy and at peace....or at least find it soon.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2014, 10:08:54 AM »
Was sick and did not get to watch the game. I missed an exciting one from reading the write-ups on the game. I have no problem at all admitting I did not think YSU would win. Not because of a lack of talent, but because of SDSU being a hard place too win, and SDSU seeming to be a very difficult match-up for YSU since the 2 teams resumed playing again in 2007.

GREAT WIN!!! .... I'm sure there is alot to complain about for the people who want to look for things to complain about. All I know is YSU broke a 6 game losing streak to SDSU and did so on the road. It was also a road win over a ranked opponent.

As far as the playoffs, 1 game at a time. Like alot of people, I'm not sure this is a playoff team, yet. But, they are winning me over, and seem to have something that has been lacking at YSU since the 2006 season. It's just hard to forget YSU losing the final 3 games last year, and the final game of 2012. I do think YSU will get into the playoffs if they finish 8-4/5-3. There are still 3 very good teams left to play, with 2 of those games on the road. And, South Dakota is a team that can beat YSU if the team is not focused.

GO PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!