Author Topic: Guins at RMU  (Read 12455 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Guins at RMU
« on: December 02, 2014, 08:17:13 PM »
These fouls are going to get us, but Hain looks nice today.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Guins at RMU
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 08:49:33 PM »
Nice win, one of those games that we had to win. RMU a bit down so far and YSU got he job done. So far I am impressed with how the men are doing.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 08:51:35 PM »
Nice road win for the Penguins 89-81 especially after losing in ot at ISU.  Hain with a double double 24 and 14.  Keene takes over 2nd half and adds 24.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:52:45 PM »
@YSUsports: MBB: Final Score: YSU 89, Robert Morris 81. Five players score in double figures led by Hain and Keene's 24 each

Was not a pretty win, but a nice effort offensively. This team is definitely coming together a lot quicker than anticipated. This is a gymnasium we've struggled in immensely for years. Now go to Vermillion and beat South Dakota and we will be in good shape.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 08:59:57 PM »
Moved the ball around nice today. It was as if you knew that we were the better team and going to win no matter what.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:04:40 PM »
Against teams with losing records and D-III colleges, we're No. 1!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:37:08 PM »
Against teams with losing records and D-III colleges, we're No. 1!

Better to win these games than to lose them!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 09:42:14 PM »
Cheap shot Spider ...these are games that recent history would not have us winning and if Cole could have made a couple of free throws against ILS, we would have won that game ...then posters would all be saying "we need to be in the MVC"

Spiderlegs

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »
Cheap shot Spider ...these are games that recent history would not have us winning and if Cole could have made a couple of free throws against ILS, we would have won that game ...then posters would all be saying "we need to be in the MVC"

No, somebody needs to counter the hype. Last year at this time people were all worked up during the weak part of the schedule and thinking that this team deserved to be a nationally ranked mid-major. Yesterday I read a second-rate analysis about how this road trip (against two losing teams, Robert Morris and South Dakota) is a key moment in our season. No, no, no. We're a second-rate D-I team playing second-rate D-I teams (or less), and nothing is happening to change that. Sorry for overusing the word second rate, but we need a little realism about what's happening here. This team hasn't proven anything yet.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »

No, somebody needs to counter the hype. Last year at this time people were all worked up during the weak part of the schedule and thinking that this team deserved to be a nationally ranked mid-major. Yesterday I read a second-rate analysis about how this road trip (against two losing teams, Robert Morris and South Dakota) is a key moment in our season. No, no, no. We're a second-rate D-I team playing second-rate D-I teams (or less), and nothing is happening to change that. Sorry for overusing the word second rate, but we need a little realism about what's happening here. Some good individual athletes, but this team hasn't proven anything yet.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 10:36:04 PM »
Gee, I guess I missed all the hype you mention, I do not recall anyone saying that they have reservations for the final 4. Actually not so sure that anyone expected the team to do much of anything this year.

No one needs to feel guilty for being happy when their team wins, if your not happy when your team wins there is something wrong.

The schedule is what the schedule is, every game cannot be UCLA, Duke or Kentucky. I think you will see that even the omnipotent ohio state has these teams on their schedule, UMass Lowell, Campbell and High Point.

As of now it is what it is, enjoy the ride.

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 12:21:12 AM »
Bobby Hain must have been reading my posts about him being soft, because today he proved me wrong...
Lets see if he can do this on a consistent basis.
I love being proved wrong because it does not happen often!!!!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 11:55:53 AM »
Need to win 4 or 5 more of these games, and five-hundred at least in the league.  Then we can talk about improvement in the program.  For the record, I had us getting hammered by Illinois St, MVC is supposedly far superior to our league you know!  We could have won had we hit free throws down the stretch.  Last time I checked the three MAC schools were undefeated.  So yes, I am happy with my Penguin basketball squad!!!  Enjoy it, and see what league play has in store for us!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
Hard to see this team winning more than 5-6 games in the HL. Having said that, last night was a nice win. Those are the kinds of games YSU ought to win, and for far too long have found ways to lose. This was also the 2nd or 3rd win in a row over RMU, after losing 4-5 in a row.

Just hard to see this team doing much in the HL with Hain being the only legitimate threat to score inside. And, in fairness to him, he is more of a 3 or 4 than a center. But, on this team, if he is away from the basket, YSU will have very little height in the lane for offensive rebounds.

The team played hard. And, while that is expected at this level, it is also something many teams fail to do, especially on the road.

Last years team started 6-1 and went 9-6 OOC. Then went 6-10 in HL and lost at Oakland in 1st round of tournament.

2012-13 team went 8-5 OOC, and then 7-9 in HL.
2011-12 team went

YSU has played only 1 team in RPI top 100, and lost. That was ISU
YSU is 0-3 against teams 101 - 200
4-0 against teams 200+, and then that stunning win over Oberlin. Quite possibly, the most important win in YSU basketball history. Well, until they beat Thiel and Wilberforce.

Talk about 3 HUGE games against quality opponents.  :-X

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 08:38:30 PM »
I swear that you could give some people a hundred dollar bill and they would complain that it was crinkled! Amazing.